Saturday, January 12, 2013

Spier

Type: Vineyard
Location: R310 Baden Powell Rd
Stellenbosch 7603
South Africa
Phone: 021-809-1100
Website: www.spier.co.za/
Notes: While I'd pass on most of the beer in South Africa (Castle Stout was ok, but if you're in SA look for Namibian beer), the wine was phenomenal.  I found several really good Pinotages for around $4USD, so I was excited to visit a vineyard.
Regretfully, the best thing about Spier was it's location.


Before you get upset, maybe they make world class wines, maybe all the other wines I loved were "bad" to a more educated palate.  I don't know wine.  I just know what I like, and I was disappointed by Spier's wines.  Here's a sad George.  He was disappointed too.
Spier was a great spot for tourists, however.  Historical old buildings, shops with all sorts of items for sale, a restaurant with a large picnic area, and bird and cheetah sanctuaries (separate of course).  With our entrance to the bird sanctuary, we got to enter a cage with Owls and hold them, and suggest names for the sweetest little baby owl.  With big black eyes, he just begged to be pet.
They had a show with some birds of prey that George and I opted out of.  The rest of our group wanted to see the show, but we had a feeling there wouldn't be time to explore after the show.  We were right, they wanted lunch.  
When we finally got to the vineyard, the wine was disappointing.  Defintely not up to the standard that we were coming to expect from South African wines.  After the vineyard, the rest of our group went to visit family, and we were dropped in Stellenbosch central for some exploration.  This was probably the most enjoyable part of the day.  We walked around photographing old buildings, had lunch, and found out that post offices in South Africa are closed for about a week around Christmas.  We ended up mailing our post cards home from New Jersey.  Oh well.

12 Jan 2012 edit while migrating: Yeah, sometimes not going 200mph is frustrating.  Especially when flying halfway around the world.  But George is a damn drama queen.  There are a many experiences that I regret allowing this to affect.  That expression in the photo above?  Mopey manipulation that I got way too accustomed to.  Add that to the list of things I'll never put up with again.

No comments:

Post a Comment