Saturday, January 12, 2013

Brasserie Lipp

Type:       Miscellaneous








Location: 
Confédération Centre Rue de la Confédération 8
Geneve 1204
Switzerland
Phone: (022) 318 80 30






Nous sommes une brasserie, mais nous ne sommes pas ce genre d'une brasserie.
Uh what?
So my French is pretty abysmal, but I've spent enough time in Quebec that I thought I knew what the word Brasserie meant.
I was on the fence on whether I even wanted to go to this place.  It was pretty pricey and completely empty.  But what they hell, I'm on vacation, it's a brewery, this is what I do.
They said they'd seat me, but I had to be out in an hour and a half b/c they had so many reservations for dinner.  I said ok, hoping they didn't take an hour and a quarter to bring me my meal.  Sat down, they brought be a little slip of paper with the time I had to be out by written on it.  Nice.  Looking over the menu, hey where's the beer?
Etes-vous d'une brasserie?
Oui.
Avez-vous un menu de la bière?
Nous n'avons pas la bière.
Mais vous êtes une brasserie?
Oui, mais ..... Pas ce genre de brasserie.
Well then what the hell kind of brewery are you?  I didn't ask that.  She walked away.  No one came around for a long while after that so I gathered my things and left.  
I'm still wondering what kind of a brewery they are?  What else would you brew for a restaurant?  Does the word have another meaning that I don't know?  Every Quebecois brasserie I have been to, has been a brewery.  I know Quebecois French isn't the same language as Swiss French, but what on earth else could a Brasserie be?
...
Okay Wikipedia says a Brasserie is a fancy restaurant.  Whatever dudes.  I wouldn't name a fancy English(speaking, I know there's no such thing as good food in England) restaurant a brewery w/out it actually being one.

No comments:

Post a Comment