Saturday, January 12, 2013

Pecan Grill and Brewery

Type: Brewpub
Location: 500 South Telshor
Las Cruces, NM 88011
United States
Phone: (575) 521-1099

After my first trip to Las Cruces, I had concluded that New Mexico is a food desert.  Nothing to eat here.  Even if there were palatable food, everything in town closes at 9, which was often about when we were driving back to town from work.  Mostly I ate carrot sticks for lunch and beer in my room for dinner.  I got home after my two weeks and good 5 course meals every night for my two weeks home.  Food!  Glorious food!  Before coming back, I went to Patel Brothers and bought a ton of prepackaged food.  Dammit, I was eating when I went back!  
Then we went to Pecan Grill.
Then we went back to Pecan Grill.
It's not cheap, especially for Las Cruces, but good god the food is delicious. 
There were plenty of options for everyone, including me, the Vegetarian sent to the land of Steak.  The stuffed squash was my favorite.  Dude.  So good.  The Portabella, the mushroom appetizer, everything I tried, I loved.  Though the mushroom appetizer was very cheesy, I don't want to know how many calories were in that!
The beer was pretty good too, though, not made onsite, their microbrewery is nearby.  They had twelve beers on tap, and two options for sampler trays, lights and darks.  Naturally, I got both.  I'm usually a dark beer fan, but overall the lights were much more impressive than the darks.  Nice, clean crisp, with strong malty, or hoppy tones.  The darks, overall, were kinda meh.  My coworkers liked the Pecan Ale.  It was too sweet for me, a taste was alright but I couldn't drink an entire pint of it.  I'm not a fan of sweet in my beer.  The green chili ale was a surprise.  I wasn't expecting to love it, but it was absolutely perfect.  Strong green chili nose, but not overwhelmingly spicy, on top of a nice solid golden base.  It could not have been better.  This was by far my favorite beer they had.

1 comment:

  1. oh the good trips to Las Cruces and el Paso. we starved the first trip out there but learned really quick how to survive. Speaking of which I need to order some more pistachios from out there.

    Very good and clean write up of an experience that wasn't always pleasant but fun none the less.

    ReplyDelete