Monday, November 11, 2013

Lookout Peak

If I'd seen any other humans, I probably would have looked silly.

But having seen no other humans, it was probably wise to carry the ice axe.

After a family visit in San Francisco, I took 3 days to myself and drove out to Kings Canyon.  Its been a couple years since I crossed paths with the Mountain Lion but I was still a little nervous to be out in the California woods alone.  Maps and guides said there were mountain lions here.  I was a little nervous in general because it was November.  But the weather reports looked good.  0% chance of precipitation and the road into the canyon was open!  I told myself there might be ice on top of the mountain, but I didn't bother to carry my snowshoes.  The axe was really for peace of mind, even if I told myself otherwise

The woods were pretty relaxing.  A couple times my mind thought I was being watched.  But it wasn't bad.  I made the 10 mile hike without any major issues.  In the drive into, and then out of the canyon, the only other car I saw was a park ranger.  The only creatures I saw on the trail were birds.  Chirpy little birds.

It's on the map as a trail to the summit, but the main trail doesn't go that way.  Near the peak, the trail to the summit becomes very hard to follow.  Eventually, I gave up, marked a waypoint so I could find my way back and just went for it.  


A couple times, I thought I'd found the trail again, but I didn't find it until I saw a cairn near the summit.  The push to the top was a scramble up rocks.  Another waypoint got marked, and my pack was dropped.  At this point I didn't care that the ice axe stayed with it.

Oh, I know that even if i needed to use it, it probably wouldn't do much against a Mountain Lion, but shhh, it gave me peace of mind up until this point.  So the pack got tossed down.  I took a gulp of water, and started climbing.  

Quickly emerged from tree cover, and wow.   The view down the canyon was spectacular. I love that hazy - blue Sierra Nevada view.  Damn, California.




Unreal, and so very worth the 10 mile walk.


The trail was pretty had to follow going back down too.  I followed it for a good while, but eventually gave up when it wasn't leading me back to my waypoint.  Looked down at my trusty Colorado and found my way back to the trail, and then safely to the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment