Monday, November 11, 2013

Adventures on Hotwire

Tired from a handful of mountains and canyons in Kings Canyon and Sequoia National parks, I planned the biggest adventure of the trip.  I booked a room in the Good Nite Inn in Redwood City, so I could get a shower in and sleep in a real bed before my flight home.

I had no idea it would be so creeptacular.


Horror movie chic, eh?

So yeah, if cheap is what you're going for.  ...well, actually it wasn't all that cheap.  But it was the cheapest thing on hotwire, within 20 minutes of the airport.  The hallway was the creepiest, and the room was falling apart.  Holes in the walls patched but not painted over.  Holes in the walls not patched.  A whole corner of the room with tiny bugs smashed into the wall.  

Both the shower and the sink dripped all night, and the room smelled like cheap perfume.  

The blanket had a lot of holes in it but the sheets seemed clean enough.  Yes, I checked for bed bugs.  And then I checked again.  When I didn't find any, I checked again because I was sure this was a hotel that should have bed bugs.  The balcony door looked like it'd been broken into before.  Yeah, it took awhile to fall asleep.  At five AM a lovely couple in the hallway woke me up with screaming and cursing, that continued for an hour.  They went away, and then they came back.  I woke up and packed up my suitcase for the flight home.  Then took another shower.

I did find good coffee in town though, and stumbled across an incredible farmers market.  Too bad I was flying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment